CALL FOR PAPERS: Interpretive Policy Analysis Conference 2021: Interpreting Politics, Governance, and Space (Extended Deadline: 31 March 2021)
we would like to inform you about the possibility to submit papers for the Interpretive Policy Analysis Conference 2021: Interpreting Politics, Governance, and Space. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 31 March 2021 23:59 GMT.
Panel Title: P8 - Value concepts in contemporary policymaking
Abstract: The concept of value has gained new currency in contemporary policymaking but remains elusive: for instance, in the case of health care, the concept of ‘value’ is put forward by policymakers, practitioners, economists, insurers, researchers, managers, and patients to justify, question or promote new interventions, and policy instruments (including so-called ‘nudges’). The emergence of the SARS-CoV2 vaccine is a case in point: beyond clinical value, vaccines are ascribed economic, ethical, and societal value, too. This panel uses biomedicine, health care, and public health policy to explore these questions empirically and conceptually.
- How are practices, ´things`, and processes made valuable in biomedicine and health care policy?
- Who gets to define value in contemporary democracies and by what means (e.g. quantitative measurements, qualitative best practices)?
- What social practices and technologies are involved in these practices? What criteria and value repertoires become salient in different spaces (organizational settings, policy contexts, patient movements etc)?
- How are ethical, moral, and economic norms involved and what controversies can we identify?
- What methods can policy analysts use to address these controversies? In this panel, we welcome both conceptual and empirical papers on the subject of value, and encourage speakers to reflect on the impact of their research on policy and practice.
Panel Convenors: Dr. Katharina Theresa Paul, Senior Research Fellow, Dep. of Political Sciences (University of Vienna) Dr. Katharina Kieslich, Univ.-Ass. Postdoctoral Researcher, Dep. of Political Sciences (University of Vienna) Dr. Saheli Datta Burton, Research Fellow, Dept of Science, Technology, Engineering and Public Policy (University College London - UCL) Prof. Dr. Barbara Prainsack, Head of the Department of Political Sciences (University of Vienna) Dr. Gabrielle Samuel, Research Fellow (University of Southampton)
Important dates: Paper submission deadline: Extended to 31 March 2021 Decision notification: Late April 2021 Conference: 28th June – 2 July 2021; Virtual format Please submit your abstract (250 to 500 words) in pdf format to: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
More information on the conference can be found here.
Best regards Natalia Varabyeu Kancelova University of Vienna
EASST's Eurograd mailing list Eurograd (at) lists.easst.net Unsubscribe or edit subscription options: http://lists.easst.net/listinfo.cgi/eurograd-easst.net
Meet us via https://twitter.com/STSeasst
Report abuses of this list to Eurogradfirstname.lastname@example.org